November 02 2021 – Holly Ong
Sambal Goreng Tempeh is a staple we love to eat at the Nasi Padang places back in Singapore. This stir fry consists of green beans, tempeh and tofu in a lightly spiced but highly aromatic mix. When we discovered locally PDX made Squirrel & Crow Soy Free Tempeh, we were intrigued. Since we served this in our version of Sambal Goreng Tempeh, take of during one of our supper clubs, we've continually come back to it as a vegetable forward side dish.
1/2 lb Green Beans, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
14 oz Firm Tofu, drained and cut into 1" cubes
8 oz Tempeh, cut into 1/4” slices
2 Tbsp Sibeiho® Boomz Sambal
3 Tbsp Fresh tumeric, finely chopped
5 stalks Lemon grass, white parts only cut into 2” pieces
3 Garlic cloves, minced
Vegetable oil, about 3-6 Tbsp
Water, about 1/8 cup
1. In a non-stick sauté pan on medium-high, heat about 3 Tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot, the fry tempeh until the edges are slightly brown. Remove and place on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
2. Repeat the same process with the tofu.
3. If needed, add additional oil to the pan so that you have about 3 Tbsp. Add the tumeric, lemon grass, garlic and Sibeiho® Boomz Sambal to the pan. Fry the ingredients until you can smell the sambal.
4. Then, add the green beans and about 1/8 cup water to the pan. Toss and cook until the green beans are soft on the outside but still a touch crunchy.
5. Add the tempeh and tofu back into the pan.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Stir all of the ingredients together until coated with the sauce. Serve and enjoy!