October 12 2021 – Holly Ong
We like making it with additional protein and veggies. You can also watch a video of us making it for an event here.
- 1/2 cup of rice, washed until the water is clear. Then freeze the wet rice overnight if possible.
- 6 dried shiitake mushooms (pre-soaked in hot water, at least for 1 hour, keep the mushroom water)
- 1 minced garlic
- 2 stalks of spring onions
- 1 knob of ginger, about the size of your thumb
- 1.5 Tbsp of sesame oil (may need a bit more as we cook along)
- 1 egg
- organic vegetable or chicken stock (at least 2 cups)
- salt & pepper (white preferably)
OPTIONAL: Hae Bee aka dried baby shrimps (you can find this at most Asian grocery store, usually at the chilled section)
METHOD & TIPS
- Slice shitake mushrooms /ginger/ spring onions finely
- Heat small pot. Add spring onions + ginger + sesame oil
- Wait till edges of ginger browns, then add garlic + mushrooms
- Fry till you can smell the mushrooms. Add frozen wet rice.
- Add mushroom water + stock till it just covers top of ingredients. Bring to boil and then lower temperature.
- Stir occasionally, if you like soupy congee, add more stock/ water. Do not burn the bottom. Test the rice at about 10-15min mark, finish with 蛋花egg swirls like ribbons.
- Serve in bowls and add garnishes if desired.
Tagged: Cooking 101